DawnAllcot@gmail.com / www.allcotmediamarketing.com
FREELANCE WRITER / EDITOR / INBOUND MARKETING SPECIALIST
With a strong background in SEO best practices, I write content that drives websites to Google’s first page and increases sales for businesses of every size.
With numerous connections in multiple industries, my strength lies in connecting the right people at the right time, telling the right stories to move them to action.
Audiovisual and lighting technology; pregnancy & parenting; personal finance; accounting; small business marketing; freelance writing; green technology; inbound marketing; health/fitness/beauty; spirituality; moving; home decor & design; paintball.
ALLCOT MEDIA: Freelance writing, editing, proofreading, social media marketing
December 2001 – Present (full-time)
RECENT CLIENTS – EDITORIAL, WRITING & BLOGGING
* Regular contributor to print publications: Church Production, Worship Facilities Magazine, Worship Designer, Sound & Communications, Bella – NYC
* Blogger/writer for Care.com, SeniorLiving.net, Eco-Outfitters.net, MyMove.com; Prose Media, Sky SEO, 24 Hour Data, JD Systems, AccountingDepartment.com; FlatRate Moving; iSeniorSolutions.com; Eco-Friendly Garden Sheds, Parent Society
* Content Editor for GlobalSpec newsletter: Display Technologies
* Writer at Gina LaGuardia Editorial Services
* Writer for KMB Communications
* Ghostwriter of four eBooks and multiple special reports designed for lead generation for small businesses
ADDITIONAL NOTEWORTHY WRITING CREDITS
Huffington Post (ghostwritten), Freelance Writing Gigs, Gerber Life, Mint.com, Amex OPEN Forum, CreditShout.com, Absolute Write, HotJobs, AOL Real Estate, Reader’s Digest, Chase, CapRelo,
CURRENT / RECENT CLIENTS – SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGEMENT
Crestron Electronics Feb. 2014 – Feb. 2105 – Managed the company’s social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn), increasing reach and engagement during a one-year contract.
KMB Communications (Present) – Launched PR & Marketing Firm’s Twitter & Facebook accounts, building networks and increasing engagement.
JD Systems / JD Pro – Managed social media, created and executed comprehensive inbound marketing campaigns that included blogging, lead gen activities & reports, Twitter & Facebook.
* MS Office Suite, WordPress content management platform, HootSuite, HubSpot, Sprout Social
IN-HOUSE EDITORIAL EXPERIENCE
Global Media (May 2004 – March 2007)
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779 / 631.580.7772
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF (May 2004 – March 2007)
Paintball Sports Magazine
* Re-designed monthly newsstand publication, in collaboration with art department;
* Improved editorial content, resulting in increased circulation and advertising sales income;
* Consistently met strict editorial/photography budget while maintaining the highest standards of creative quality;
* Created new features and departments designed to target our main demographic (males, ages 15 – 45) and showcase the “paintball lifestyle;”
* Generated article ideas, wrote multiple departments and features, managed freelance staff;
* Promoted magazine at dozens of national events.
Testa Communications (August 1997 – October 2002)
Port Washington, NY / 516.767.2500
Held several titles at multi-property, multimedia publishing firm. Details below.
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF (May 2000 – October 2002)
Band & Orchestra Product News
* Consistently completed magazine on time and under budget;
* Developed positive relationships with industry members, advertisers and readership through trade show presence and consistent phone contact.
* Oversaw production of all editorial content for magazine and companion website;
* Managed a staff of freelancers and two assistant editors;
EXECUTIVE EDITOR (April 2000 – July 2000)
Club Systems International
* Worked with publisher to launch, from concept and design to editorial content, monthly trade magazine focused on the sound, lighting and video systems in nightclubs;
* Edited first two issues of magazine while simultaneously editing B&O Product News;
* Promoted magazine at trade shows;
* Developed a freelance staff and fostered industry relationships.
ASSOCIATE EDITOR (July 1999 – May 2000)
Band & Orchestra Product News
* Introduced the “Making More Music Makers” scholarship program, coordinated the contest, secured sponsors and judged hundreds of entries;
* Worked closely with editor to generate story ideas, write features, report news, and establish an industry presence.
EDITORIAL ASSISTANT (August 1997 – July 1999)
Sound & Communications, DJ Times, Music & Sound Retailer, B&O Product News
* Spearheaded communication and idea trade between staff;
* Promoted to Associate Editor, B&O Product News, Staff Writer, Music & Sound Retailer and Managing Editor, Sound & Communications Blue Book, all within six months.
* Wrote news, product sections, and feature stories;
Long Island University, Southampton
English/Writing major, staff writer for campus newspaper